|Report An Art Thief |
If you spot an art thief, let the group know. We will post a blog about the deviant and warn others as well as try our best to bring them to justice!
What is Art Theft?:
Art theft is the taking of someones art, whether it be paintings, posters, fanart, literature, etc. and posting it as your own. Art theft is ranked as the fourth largest criminal enterprise due to all of those who steal art, post it as their own, and then sell it.
5 Art Theft Situations 'What is and isn't Art Theft':
1. "But Everyone does it"
Sorry to say, but a lot of people do steal art, but not everyone does it! Even though it's common, not everyone is a thief. This is NOT an excuse.
2. "You're just jealous!"
No one is jealous of stolen art. The fact that you're stealing it and claiming it as your own seems pretty jealous to me though.
3. "Too bad, I don't care."
Well Mr./Ms. thief, you should care, because art theft is a crime and the art police will not stop until you are brought to justice!
4. "But I Gave Credit!"
Although giving credit is the right thing to do, it is still theft unless you have permission from the original artist. Please get permission.
5 . "I Didn't Trace, I Only Referenced."
If this is true, it is okay to reference another piece, but only if you give credit to the original artist and ask their permission. However, this may be a lie. Take a look at the picture in question, you should be able to tell if it was traced or not.
1. Always be as polite and courteous as possible until you can't any longer.
2. Always listen to the thieves side of the story. Just because they did a bad thing, does not make them a bad person.
3. Try and be fair. Let them know what they did is wrong.
4. Always give them a chance. Don't just report them right away. Politely ask them about the piece in question and suggest that they remove it, don't try to force them. If they refuse or ignore, then report them.
Example of a good way to speak to an art thief.
Hello there. You have a lot of lovely art, however, I'm sorry to inform you that I have received a report about you in my art theft group. Recolors are not allowed on DA, and while I'm sure you never meant any form of harm or rule breaking by it I suggest you remove anything recolored from your gallery. I will not dog you or harass you on this because I like to keep things polite and peaceful, however, I do suggest you remove them before a less nice deviant reports you without even bothering to hear you out first or give you a chance to defend yourself.
Thank you for your time.
- notice that I am polite
- notice that I gave them a chance to respond
- notice that I did not say I would report them or threaten them in any way.
Try and be nice, they might just be nice back. I've encountered a large number of thieves who I never had to add to the blog because they appreciated my politeness removed all they stole.
Example of a bad way to speak to a thief
Hey you, stop posting shit that isn't yours! You are a lowlife who pretends to be good at art so people will like you. Stop, it's not fair to the original artist and anyone who defends you in this is stupid too for letting you steal. I'm reporting you now so you better remove it before the admins find it.
- notice the rude attitude right off the bat.
- notice the use of fowl language
- notice the senseless insults
- notice the threat of reporting
Once again, try to be nice. If you're mean to them first, chances are they'll be mean right back and you won't get anywhere.
If you have any questions or want help speaking to an art thief, send me a note @ KimiConjurer